What this is about...

This blog is about how I spend some of my time with my computers.

Various topics on Computing, Operating Systems, Programming Languages, Computer Games, Internet and Communications

Saturday, February 13, 2010

Ubuntu conversion

With one deep breath I installed 9.10 Ubuntu on my IBM ThinkPad Laptop.

This was something I wanted to do for quite a while and I just didn't because I thought I would miss some yet-undiscovered application... So far, I have to say, I am blown away!

This is how computing should be... Need something, run the Ubuntu Software Center and there you are, lots of apps for practically anything.

I even set-up the Xming application and now I have a true multi-user, multi-tasking system running on hardware that I thought would stay with XP forever.

Nice.

I am writing this on this old underpowered system, using the Xming application from my work T61 Lenovo ThinkPad which came with the Vista hog OS... But I am using its 1680x1050 pixel screen and keyboard with Xming and actually running on the old X60!

It's just great!

So far, everything I did with the Windows systems, I can do with this one, and get this: system monitor says I am using 610MB of its puny little 1GB of RAM, my swap is 255MB and my CPUs are @ about 12-25% utilisation. Besides this blog-writing session via Xming, I have another user logged on with audio running, Firefox, system monitor, a terminal, a couple of file manager windows open and a directory compare utility running.

Before I decided to publish my experience, I did a sort of real test on the system; I wrote a business plan which consisted of a document and an accompanying spreadsheet. I worked on it for about 8 days, using only Open Office. No problem!

I exported the open doc file to a pfd and off it went...

I repeat: I am impressed.

No comments:

Post a Comment